To buy well is one thing, to keep well is another. You may need to read the instructions for your refrigerator and the storage tips on the packaging. Our good little things to store your food.
Fruits and vegetables from the market in the refrigerator
- Do you bring mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, leeks, salads, strawberries, apples or pears from the market or the supermarket? Store them immediately in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator. Same with the aromatic herbs. So they will not freeze or dehydrate either.
- Be careful, some fruits and vegetables (tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, onions, citrus, lemons, oranges, bananas ...) do not like at all to be stored in the fridge and suffer what the specialists call "internal degradation". At too cold a temperature, tomatoes wither, bananas black, for example. "These plants are kept cool anyway, if possible in a dark cellar, or in an airy cellar where the temperature remains higher than 12 ° C," says Agnès Bernardin, director of Unilet (Union national inter-professional vegetables canned and frozen).
- Other fruits and vegetables are less demanding. Carrots, beans or celeriac can be stored either in a low-temperature place or in the fridge.
Fruits and vegetables: pay attention to neighborhood problems
- Some fruits or vegetables do not support the vicinity of other plants! When they ripen, tomatoes, apples and kiwis produce a substance called ethylene that causes faster degradation of other fruits and vegetables, such as cabbages, salads, spinach, eggplants ...
- Finally, do not forget that fresh vegetables are consumed as quickly as possible because their vitamins are fragile! Sensitive to air, heat and light, they can deteriorate or disappear during prolonged storage.
Put away your fridge, easy!
- When storing your food in the refrigerator, first isolate them from each other. For example, protect meats and fish in stretch film, pastries and deli meats in aluminum foil. Place cooked food or cooked food in airtight containers. Pack each cheese in stretch film or aluminum foil, ask your cheesemaker for advice.
- Depending on the category of your refrigerator, place your food either at the top or at the bottom (according to the cold distribution indicated on the instructions of your fridge): the butter in order to spread it, the meat in the most cold, etc.
- As for the vegetables put them in the specific tray, if they support the temperature of a refrigerator.
1 2 3